A Collection of Medals to the Gloucestershire Regiment
Date of Auction: 15th October 2020
Sold for £900
Estimate: £600 - £800
Crimea 1854-56, 3 clasps, Alma, Inkermann, Sebastopol (G. Bevistock. 28th Regt.) officially impressed naming; Army L.S. & G.C., V.R., 2nd issue, large letter reverse (.3005 Pt. Geo. Beverstock. 28th Regt. 15th May. 1857.) regimentally impressed naming; Turkish Crimea 1855, British issue, unnamed, suspension claw harshly tightened on the second, otherwise nearly very fine or better (3) £600-£800
FootnoteGeorge Beverstock (variously Bavistock, Bevistock, Bevestock, and Baverstock) was born at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, and enlisted originally into the 34th Foot at Deptford, Kent, on 14 June 1838, aged 19 years 1 month, a groom by trade. He transferred to the St Helena Regiment on 1 May 1842, and served on that island for 6 years 335 days from 6 October 1842. On 1 April 1849, he volunteered and transferred to the 28th Foot and landed back in England on 16 October 1849. Following a period of service at home, he landed in the Crimea on 14 September 1854, where he took part in the battles of the Alma and Inkermann, and the siege of Sebastopol. He served afterwards at Malta from 21 May 1856, and in the East Indies at Bombay from 8 December 1858, returning home to England on 30 September 1859. He was discharged at Fermoy on 31 October 1859, at his own request to Out Pension having completed 21 years service.
Sold with a carte de visite photograph of ‘Grandad Baverstock’ in civilian dress with a percussion shotgun, two ‘28’ brass badges and an excavated button, and the following original documents: ‘28 Regiment of Foot’ Account Book and Monthly Settlements etc., complete up to 1859; Regimental Savings Bank Book, issued in Bombay with entries from November 1858; parchment certificate of Discharge, dated 15 November 1859; parchment certificate as an Out-Pensioner of H.M. Royal Hospital at Chelsea, dated 19 November 1859; and certificate of marriage between ‘George Bavistock, Land Steward’ and ‘Anne Bond, spinster’ on 24 December 1860, in the Parish Church of Saint George, Hanover Square, Middlesex.