Medals from the Collection of David Lloyd

Date of Auction: 17th February 2021

Sold for £1,300

Estimate: £1,000 - £1,400

A Great War D.S.O. group of seven awarded to Major E. P. Nicholls, Royal Field Artillery, who served during the Second World War as an Acting Squadron Leader, Royal Air Force

Distinguished Service Order, G.V.R., silver-gilt and enamel, with integral top riband bar; 1914-15 Star (Capt. E. P. Nicholls. R.F.A.); British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (Major E. P. Nicholls.); Defence and War Medals 1939-45; Territorial Decoration, G.V.R., silver and silver-gilt, hallmarks for London 1918, with integral top riband bar, very minor red enamel damage to reverse central medallion of DSO, otherwise good very fine and better (7) £1,000-£1,400


D.S.O. London Gazette 16 September 1918:
‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty while commanding his battery during an enemy attack. Under the most difficult circumstances he fought off the enemy all day, and in the evening withdrew his battery with the loss of only one gun, which had been destroyed by shell fire. He showed great ability in command.’

Ernest Puleston Nicholls was born in 1883, the son of Colonel W. Nicholls, and was educated at Malvern and Brasenose College, Oxford. An underwriter at Lloyd’s, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 3rd Kent Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers on 1 August 1903, and was promoted Lieutenant on 24 December 1904, and Captain on 10 October 1906. He transferred to the 2nd London Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force) on its formation on 1 April 1908, and was mobilised in August 1914. He served during the Great War on the Western Front from 2 October 1915 to 16 September 1916, and from 5 September 1917 to 8 October 1918, and was advanced Major. For his services during the Great War he was Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 23 December 1918) and was awarded the D.S.O.

Nicholls was awarded the Territorial Decoration in 1919 (London Gazette 30 May 1919), before being disembodied on 2 August of that year. He saw further service during the Second World War as a Flight Lieutenant (Acting Squadron Leader) in the Administrative and Special Duties Branch of the Royal Air Force, and died in Westminster on 12 September 1955.

Sold with copied research.