Medals from the Collection of David Lloyd

Date of Auction: 17th February 2021

Sold for £900

Estimate: £500 - £700

A Second War M.B.E. group of eight awarded to Lieutenant-Colonel G. Watt, Gold Coast Field Ambulance

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, M.B.E. (Military) Member’s 2nd type breast badge, silver; 1939-45 Star; Africa Star, 1 clasp, 1st Army; Burma Star; Defence and War Medals 1939-45; Coronation 1953, unnamed as issued; Efficiency Decoration, E.II.R., Gold Coast, reverse officially dated 1954 and additionally contemporarily engraved ‘Lt. Col. G. Watt.’, with integral top riband bar, nearly extremely fine (8) £500-£700


M.B.E. London Gazette 30 December 1941:
‘In recognition of distinguished services in the Middle East (including Egypt, East Africa, the Western Desert, the Sudan, Greece, Crete, Syria, ands Tobruk) during the period February to July 1941.’

The original Recommendation states: ‘During the operations at Wl Wak, Bulo Erillo, Madoca, and Gelib, Captain Watt distinguished himself by the efficiency and surgical skill displayed when in charge of the A.D.S. On all of these occasions he had to work under very difficult and trying conditions, with improvised operating theatres, sometimes under fire, which demanded considerable ingenuity and organising skill. from July 1940 to April 1941, he has been in command of “B” Company and his work has been of exceptionally high order, his devotion to duty setting a fine example to both wounded and staff alike.’

George Watt was born on 4 October 1905 and was educated at Edinburgh University; having graduated with a degree in tropical medicine, joined the Colonial Medical Service in 1934, serving as Medical Officer on the Gold Coast. He served during the Second World War in Kenya, Abyssinia, India, and Burma, where he was in command of the 4th and 2nd West African Field Ambulance. Advanced Lieutenant-Colonel, he was awarded the Efficiency Decoration in 1954, and retired in 1955. He subsequently served on the North-Eastern Regional Hospital Board in Aberdeen, and died in Aberdeen on 11 October 1970.

Sold with copied research, including a photographic image of the recipient.